Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Yardbirds - Greatest Hits


Nostalgia has its place, says the guy writing a blog about a bunch of records he hasn't heard since he was a child. But it can also be kind of a pain in the ass. Case in point: I have this friend who gets ridiculously nostalgic for shit he never experienced. It's honestly kind of irritating. Then there's my dad who gets ridiculously nostalgic for shit he did experience. That's marginally less irritating.

So it's okay, for instance, for my dad to go on and on at length about how the Yardbirds are the greatest guitar group ever, and about how it's where Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton got their start. And about how they changed the face of rock music but also pop culture. That's all fine.

But this band came out before I was born. So if you and I went to school together, I can't prevent you from foaming at the mouth about the Yardbirds as if they're a band you ever spent a second in your entire life listening to prior to just now. And I am aware through painful experience that nothing I saw or do will stop you from spewing all kinds of interesting little factoids you learned on VH1 as if you lived through them. But I can look at you like you're a total tool when you do that.

You know who you are.

[wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment