Saturday, May 24, 2014

Henry Mancini - The Best of Mancini


I've been trying to get through all the Stones and Beatles I have so I can... well mostly so I can be done with them. I feel like that would be a milestone. But I've been busy and haven't done much with the records the last week or so. And to be honest I'm getting tired of the Beatles and the Stones. So I thought I'd switch it up a little and grab something from the middle of the "music for old people stack."

Big, sweeping, cinematic jazz. I'm glad I picked this one. Peter Gunn. Baby Elephant Walk. Bunch of other stuff I neither recognize nor have I ever heard of. Most of it pretty good. Certainly listenable while I clean my apartment and try to potty train my two year old.

There was... is a big old white spot of dust on side two that I could not remove. I was afraid it would be unplayable. Sprayed that sucker with record cleaner, used the special anti-static brush that they charge you too much for, the velvet brush that they charge you too much for, hit it with the extra special record cleaner that the guy at the record store told me was WAY better than the stuff that came from the velvet brush which you can tell because they charge you way too much for it. Nothing worked. So I figured, fuck it, let's give it a spin. Plays just fine. No idea what that stuff is. It's just staying there looking bad and not affecting playability at all.

Even though this isn't a soundtrack, I tagged it as one since so many of these songs have been in movies.

HO-HOLY CRAP, I could have done without hearing "The Days of Wine and Roses." Some things don't translate well across generations, I guess.

[wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment