Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Moody Blues - This is the Moody Blues


I really should be studying so I'm gonna make this one quick:
1. The LP itself was covered in fingerprints and dust and the jacket was mildewed but it cleaned up nicely and plays beautifully.
2. I don't know what the hell my brother-in-law was talking about when he said they were all scratched and none of them played. So far I'm five-for-five.
3. As soon as I heard the opening strains of "Question", the first song on the first side, I wanted to smoke a joint. I really just don't have time for that shit anymore.
4. And: story time.


So when I was in 9th grade our English teacher who I really liked but who my dad told me was an asshole had us bring in copies of the lyrics of songs we liked to share them with class. I brought in the lyrics to "Rehumanize Yourself" by the Police. I thought the freaking philistines I went to school with would benefit from listening to something that wasn't Van Halen or Bon Jovi. And the song had the word "cunt" in it which I wanted to see if my teacher would let me get away with, because fuck him anyway.

He did let me get away with it. In retrospect I should have gone for a song with "fuck" in it, or maybe "Be My Girl - Sally" which doesn't have any swears but is about an inflatable fuck-doll.

Anyway my teacher brought in the lyrics to "I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)." As I sat there in class listening to this song about how pop musicians don't know any more about life than anyone else played for us by the teacher who had told us to bring in the lyrics to songs that we found meaningful, I thought, "Yeah, Pop's right. This guy is an asshole."

In retrospect though, looking back at it now that I plan to be a teacher someday and I've been studying pedagogy and observing other teachers, I think it was probably a pretty good lesson. I just think it could have been less heavy-handed. "Bring me songs you really love, so I can play you a song about how they're all bullshit. You're WELCOME."

Fucking deeb.

[wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment