Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sting - Dream of the Blue Turtles

Ok, so... here's the thing. I loved the Police. Still do. I totally loved them and everything they did except for the 1986 version of "Don't Stand So Close to Me" which sucked in a way only exceptions to incredible bodies of work can.

So I was amped when this album came out, amped in the way only a precocious ten-year-old can be when his musical idol finally comes out with a solo album. It was a good album. I still think it's listenable. "Shadows in the Rain", "Consider Me Gone", "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free", this is a solid album. His next solo album, ...Nothing Like the Sun was, in my opinion, just as good. "The Lazarus Heart", "Englishman in New York", "We'll Be Together": strong work.

I need to make this next part very clear. I had no way of knowing he was going to unleash the horror that is "Fields of Gold" upon the world. Okay? How the fuck was I supposed to know in 1985 that he was gonna shit all over everything the Police ever did, and go on about his life pumping out volume after volume of shitty dentist's office music for another twenty plus fucking years?!?

I had no idea he was gonna turn 50, get into tantric sex and start boning 20-year olds!

I was just a kid!

I liked the Police! That's all!

NONE of what came after this is my fault!

[wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment