Saturday, April 26, 2014

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman


I remember two things about this album. One, many of the songs on it are quite good. Two, when I was younger, the guy on the cover reminded me of my stepfather. This was probably a valid comparison on one level, because both of them were large red-headed men with full beards, and both of them enjoyed the occasional cup of tea. But on another level it was quite ironic because while Cat Stevens was a caring, sensitive, artistic, deeply introspective folk singer, who wrote songs about life and love and the human condition, my stepfather was a schizophrenic, drug-abusing, violent, alcoholic, Vietnam vet, who spent every free moment making everyone around him miserable.

So not so similar.

[wikipedia]

Update July 4, 2014

Played this during dinner a few days ago. Noticed a few things. I still love the album. Some of the songs brought me back to the trailer, hanging out with my sister and her psychotic dad (That's right, I said trailer. What of it?). James seemed to like it, which was nice. Also Amy was giving me a hard time about something during the song Hard Headed Woman which gave me the opportunity to point out the name of the song which got her to roll her eyes at me which is always a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment