Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run


The thing about Springsteen is that if you're from Jersey, you love him.


People say that like it's a joke but it's not. Everyone from Jersey, from the douchiest hipster music snob to the crankiest crotchetiest old Gramma loves the Boss. Chris Christie and Jon Stewart both love him. I'm not even the guy's biggest fan. I've met guys who will talk to you 'til you're deaf about Springsteen. They're probably still talking you just don't know because you're deaf. I'm not that guy. I don't even love all of his songs. There are some that I'm not fond of at all. It's almost like I'm contractually obligated to love Springsteen, no matter what. But he does have songs that make happy every time I hear them, which are almost as good as the ones that make me sad every time I hear them.

The other thing looking at this made me think of... well, two things. One, just how many of the songs I know and love that were recorded well before I was born. They stand up to the test of time in a way a lot of the crap I hear right now won't... I hope. The other thing is just how solid a lot of the albums from back then are. There are plenty of new releases from modern artists with one or two songs on them that I really like and eight or nine that I don't care if I ever hear again. On a lot of these records of my mom and dad's, every song is fucking great. This is one of those albums. A lot of the Stones albums are like that too. And the Beatles.

Anyway I'm moving on before I start doing old man rant. I'm tired of that shit. Sometimes I worry I really am turning right the fuck into my old man.

God dammit.

[wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment