Saturday, August 16, 2014

Joan Baez - Diamonds & Rust


Joan Baez: "...my poetry is lousy you said..."
Amy: "Yup."

So, good old Joan Baez. I don't know. I got tired of the 80s bullshit pile so I pulled one from the pile of Hippy stuff. I did not have high hopes for it. She is a good singer. The production values are good. I mean, yeah no. It's not for me. I'm gonna listen to this because I told myself I was going to listen to every record in this pile. But this is not one I'm gonna put a gold star on and play over and over. It's not awful, it's just also not really any good, for me. I'm sure there are people who love it. And I can even kind of tell why. I can hear in it, the things that are good about it. They just don't move me.

And shit, could Joan use more tremolo or vibrato or whatever it is you call it when they wiggle their voice around like that? It's like... I get it, lady. You can do that thing with your voice, the annoying thing that doesn't make your singing any better but shows just how good at it you are. Now stop it.

Oh, good Christ. Children And All That Jazz broke me. I can't listen to this whole thing. It's fucking awful.

The jacket was a wreck. Water damaged. After having tried listening to it, I have to assume some well-intentioned soul tried to drown it. But their effort was for naught, because tragically, the platter is fine. Barely needed cleaning.

[wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment