Friday, July 4, 2014

The Band - The Band


Oh, man. What a great album. This is one of those records that, right from the first track, all the way through the end, is just awesome. This was one of my dad's favorite bands back in the day. Probably still is, even though he mostly listens to a lot of stuff from before he was born now. When you get old, you start to listen to old people music, apparently.

Guess that's kind of what I'm doing. Dammit...


Anyway this is a great album and it plays awesome. Stand out songs for me are Across the Great Divide, Rag Mama Rag, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Up on Cripple Creek.

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is a weird one, for me. It's a great song. But it makes me sad and a little nostalgic for something that I not only don't care about, but it makes me feel sympathy for a group I don't really give a whole hell of a lot of fucks for.

If somebody just came out and said to me that things were really hard in the South after the Civil War my response would be, "Bummer. Guess you shouldn't have been willing to fight to the death to defend slavery, asshole." But, you know, the song... It's a good song. It changes my perspective a little. Good songs can do that. Any good art can, I think.

[wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment