Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Beatles - Meet The Beatles


So the jacket says this is "The First Album by England's Phenomenal Pop Combo" but wikipedia says it's the second US release. We all know record companies lie like anything and wikipedia at least tries not to so I'm going with wikipedia. I'm getting good and tired of the Beatles but all I have left is the white album and then I've played all of it. I did not expect there to be much on this one that I'd like. Their early stuff doesn't always do it for me, and I listened to my double of Sgt. Pepper right before this, and decided it was probably my favorite Beatles album. Then I looked at this and... eh. Didn't expect much.

It didn't get off to a great start either. The jacket is in terrible shape. It's split on two sides so it's more like a portfolio than a sleeve now, and my mom's cat's used it as a scratching post. They did that to all her records (fuck cats, am I right? fuck those fluffy destructive little shits) but they really did a number on this one. Big huge gouges. It was dirty, mildewed. AND there was a hiss so bad through the first minute of the first track that I almost called it a loss and didn't play it through.

Glad I did though. Heard some good old tunes I forgot about: This Boy, All My Loving. I also heard one I never herd before that I really liked: Don't Bother Me. So it plays alright, for the most part, even though it's all fucked up. There's a valuable lesson there. That's a powerful metaphor. Um. Or something. I'm just glad all I have left is the white album and then I can start digging through the Stones.

[wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment